I was born passionate for art.
My mother (a very talented fiber artist, painter and quilter) and my father (a skilled wood and metal craftsman, handyman and inventor), raised my brother and me with their
love, light and unlimited creativity.
Artistic Gifts, Detailed Fiber Art Quilt,
Handmade by my Dad Handmade by my Mom (Betsy Brown)
As an artist, I always loved painting (especially with my fingers). I attended the University of California, Santa Cruz as an undergrad, thinking I would major in art with a focus in painting. However that dream changed quick. My experience in Intro to Painting was rough. My professor lacked positivity, kindness, support for her students, and when it came to my skills, she was not impressed. Though I worked countless hours, even through holidays, she neglected to pass me.
Paintings,
2008
So instead of giving up completely (running and crying back to Mom and Dad), I decided to treck on in hopes of finding another art form suitable. I took drawing and sculpture (wood shop and welding...awesome!) and had a great time but none of those classes stirred more passion and creativity in my belly than photography.
Now, I always loved taking pictures, but after taking Intro to Photography (Darkroom) with Professor Ken Alley, I knew I had found my calling. Professor Alley didn't tell me what to take pictures of or demand a specific method and outcome, he guided me and supported me as an artist. His dedication, kindness, humor (the man has a knack for truly poetic sarcasm) and overall positively creative personality, is something I will be forever grateful for. I continued taking his classes, learning skills in both darkroom and digital photography. I later aided him as a teaching assistant, helping newcomer photo students learn the craft.
Elwood Project,
2008
(Photographed the various attitudes and emotions of my cat)
Alter Ego Project,
2008
(Dressed my friend's up in dramatic costumes and make up)
However, my painting teacher wasn't all that bad in the end.
She gave me just the push I needed to find my true calling.
Sunsets and Clouds Project,
2009







No comments:
Post a Comment